Here I find myself exactly 24 hours before the gun goes off for the start of the long awaited PF Changs race (http://www.rnraz.com/home.html). It’s actually two years in the making for me, and it’s been a long, at times grueling, road. I know I’ve pushed my body past the place it wants to go, and well beyond what most non-runners would find reasonable. I’ve spent months in physical therapy, and endless miles running over the past two years in order to get to tomorrow. And part of me feels really good. But part of me is filled with so much trepidation over the looming possibilities that come with running with injuries. I’m confident I’ll finish, but I’m not as confident I’ll get to do it in the time I’ve worked so hard to condition my body for. It’s a good thing hope has a funny way or replacing doubt with optimism.
I’ve finished my last training run, and put my body through the last of therapy, so now it’s a waiting game. I’ll spend the next 24 hours continuing to hydrate, carb load, and most importantly to stretch. I’ve got my clothes picked out, I’ve updated my iPod that’s now charging, and I can already feel the start of the race day jitters. It’s amazing that no matter how much you prepare, those will always come. I feel like if you take my knees out of the equation I could go out and run my strongest run ever, but since that’s not an option I’m praying for a good run. A run in which the pain stays at bay longer than most, but I positively know there will be pain.
Knowing this, and all that I’ve put my knees through over the years also let’s me know that most likely this will be my last. It’s somewhat fantastic to be able to retire from something at 32, but not so much when it’s something that brings so much value and accomplishment into your life. I’m pretty sure I’m like most runners…often times you’re out there running and it plain old sucks. You wonder why it is you choose to do something that is so challenging mentally and physically…and then you finish, and the runner’s high takes over, and you know you’ll be back out there doing it again. I do intend to keep running, but I know I’ll have to limit my distances. Thoughts of a triathalon have crossed my mind…and the challenge of the swim is almost enough to have me running to the pool. I guess you’ll have to stay tuned for what I’m doing next.
I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported me through this journey. All the well wishes and inquiries into how it’s going have helped push me along. I also want to thank Sunny for being my running partner tomorrow. As much as I enjoy the solitude of running, it’s great to have someone crossing that finish line along side you, and encouraging you to get there along the way. And for all of you who have contributed to the American Cancer Society, I am very grateful. I’m a long way from my goal, but I know every bit helps in the progress to the cure (and by all means if you still want to contribute, I can take donations into early February). And lastly, to everyone who is on the other side of that finish line tomorrow cheering me on…you have no idea how much that means to me. The joy of finishing a goal you’ve worked so long and hard on is multiplied many-fold when people you love are there to share it with you.
I’ll summarize all of my training along with my race results this coming week, so check back to see how I did. And please send me all your good will to help me across that finish line tomorrow. I have several goals in my head which vary depending on what kind of run I have, but my biggest goal is to be able to run the entire race. I’ve had some strong runs in the past two weeks that, although not pain free, have felt strong and bearable. I’m holding out that tomorrow is the best one yet!
Summary Week 15 and 16: I finished out just more than 29 miles in the last two weeks of training runs. I managed an 8.5 mile run at a pace of 8:39 which really helped my confidence. I had to stop and stretch out my left IT Band around mile 7 in order to finish out the run, but my right leg gave me little issue at all. I also finished out a 6.5 mile run earlier this week at a pace of 8:27. I had a little more pain this time, but was able to run through it.
PF Changs Goal: Other than just finishing the race, which having missed out last year was my ultimate goal, my starting goal was 1:57:54 (9 minute miles). My goal when I signed up for the race a couple months ago jumped up to 1:56:55 (8:55s). I’ve averaged 8:46s throughout all of training. The last five weeks I’ve improved to 8:37s even with the injury. So it seems silly not to better my goal. I get nervous knowing I’m running with an injury to set myself a goal I might not attain knowing how incredibly disappointed I get when I don’t reach my goals. But heck, I’m retiring, might as well go out with a bang! So I’m setting a goal of 1:53:51 (8:41s). That’s five seconds off my average, and a time I’ll be thrilled to make. If I come in later than that, I know I gave it my all. If I beat it, well then I couldn’t be happier!
Wish me light legs, happy feet, and loose IT Bands!
(If you want to check results, they should be posted darn near immediately: http://results.active.com/pages/page.jsp?eventLinkageID=15)
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment