Monday, November 5, 2007

In the middle...

I’m coming up on the half way point of my training, and am starting to feel like I’m making some real progress. My long runs are starting to get up there, and the reality of being able to run for nearly two hours doesn’t seem quite so ridiculous. This week also marks nearing half way on the distance I’ll have to run also. At 6.5 miles, it’s just .05 miles shy of half of the half (13.1 miles)- a quarter marathon:).

We’ve had some crazy weather here, in which summer just keeps hanging around. It makes for having to get out a little earlier than you’d expect for early November. I’m still not a fan of running in 95 degree weather, but I guess it sure beats 15 degree weather that would soon be my reality in other parts of the country.

I ran a total of 85 miles in the month of October, with an average pace of 8:55. I’m starting to think I may be able to complete the half in far better time than my original goal. They (the running gods, I assume) say you’ll generally shave 15-30 seconds off your pace during a race on account of adrenaline and peer pressure. A lot can happen in a race, and during training, so for now I’m just going to keep getting out there and running and see what results…but it sure is encouraging.

Week 8 Summary: Goal 18.5 miles, 10k long run. I exceeded my distance goal this week by just a bit. I finished out with 18.75 miles. My long run was my race last Sunday, which I detailed in my previous posting.

Week 9 Goal: My goal this week is 19 miles, with a long run of 6.5 miles. I’m going to be in San Antonio in the latter part of the week celebrating Charly’s 30th birthday. I look forward to a run or two on the Riverwalk. Before I leave I’m working on getting as many miles in as possible. I have a feeling any runs there may be a little harder due to the influence of Team Agar.

No comments: