Monday, November 26, 2007

This turkey trotted...

Just 48 days from today until the big race. It’s hard to believe it’s already nearing December…a month in which my training needs to kick into high gear. The true test will be fitting all my training in around the hectic schedule that the holidays and travel brings.

This past Thursday, I completed my second 10k. It was very different from the first one a few weeks ago, if for no other reason than the number of runners. There had to be close to 3000 runners who started, although roughly 2300 finished. It was interesting, if not a bit frightening, starting out in the middle of all those people trying to force their way down a not so wide street. The first half mile or so proved challenging just to find a place in the crowd in which you weren’t bumping into other runners. Eventually the crowd thinned out a bit, and I was able to focus on how horrible I was feeling. It was once again a very tough run. I’m not sure what’s causing these 10ks to be so difficult since at this point I’ve completed several runs longer than 6.22 miles, and they’ve generally felt pretty good. Sometimes, I guess, runs are just harder. I did finish well ahead of my goal time at 52:48 (8:29 miles), just six-seconds ahead of the first 10k. It’s possible my increased pace is the cause of how horrible the run is feeling. I’m going to focus the next few weeks on bringing some more consistency to my pace, especially during my long runs.

This week is going to prove interesting for running. I’m road tripping it across the country starting Thursday. Bretta and I should arrive in MN sometime Saturday. I’m not sure how much opportunity I’ll have to run while we’re driving. I’m even less sure of how much I’m going to want to run upon my arrival (forecast says highs in the 20s…yikes!). I’m not going to set a distance goal this week, in hopes of getting in as many miles as possible. I am going to get in my long run prior to leaving AZ.

Week 11 Summary: Goal 22 miles, 7.5 long run. I exceeded both goals by just a bit this past week. I ran for a total of 22.25 miles. My long run was 8 miles, at a pace of 8:45 (1:09:56).

Thursday, November 22 10k Summary: Goal 54:58, 8:50 miles. I completed the 10k in 52:48, at a pace of 8:29.

Week 12 Goal: Goal 8 mile long run, as many miles as I can get in with traveling. I’m scheduled for a long run of 8 miles this week, although I completed that distance last week. I’m going to attempt to push my long run past the 8 mile mark, and beyond 70 minutes.

No comments: