It’s coming up on just a month until the race. I’m feeling pretty well prepared considering the time I still have left. In fact I tied my longest run of training from last year this past weekend, and I still have five weeks of training. I didn’t run that distance last year until 5 days before the race, so it definitely boosts my confidence.
I exceeded both my distance and long run again last week. I ran 9.5 miles, the second longest distance I’ve ever run, the longest being last year’s half. It felt really good, and was actually a pretty easy run. I focused on keeping my pace between 8:45 and 9 minute miles, which I think is key in allowing me to keep from hitting exhaustion early. It’s a pace at which I can get into a good rhythm and stick with throughout the entire run. It’s what my focus will be on for the rest of training…finding my rhythm and sticking with it.
Because I’m a full mile ahead of my schedule for my long run, I’m opting to change it up a bit. I’m going to drop my long run back down to eight for this week, go to nine for next, and finish out week 16 with a ten mile run as originally scheduled. I’m concerned if I keep pushing my long run up I’ll fatigue myself before the race. I want to be fresh come January 13th, and as most experts advise, it’s best to taper down the week or two before a race.
Week 13 Summary: Goal 20 miles, 9 mile long run. I completed three runs for a total of 21 miles. I finished my long run of 9.5 miles in 1:24:28 (8:53).
Week 14 Goal: My goal this week is to complete a total of 23 miles, with a long run of 8 miles.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You write very well.
Post a Comment