Monday, October 8, 2007

Still Going...

I’ve completed four weeks of my 18 week training plan. It’s amazing how fast this time goes. I’m still challenged even by my shorter runs, but they are getting easier as I build up my long run. There will be a time, hopefully in the near future, where four and five and even six mile runs feel like a walk in the park…I’m most certainly not there yet, but getting closer every run.

I went out for a run on Saturday morning, and was shocked by the cool weather. I’m not sure the actual temperature (maybe the low 60s), but I was actually cold the first mile. It only lasted a couple days, and we’re back to warm, but it felt great for the time being. Cory, Poopers, and I made it out for a nice four mile hike on Saturday also. We just couldn’t resist soaking in the beautiful fall weather…along with the great views from the peaks of the McDowell Mountains. I love hiking this time of year…and the dog loves it even more…although she’s been completely exhausted since our return. I guess her short little legs do a lot more work than mine. It’s good cross-training, so I’ll keep trying to get out there every week or so.

I’ve decided on an upcoming race. I’m planning on a 10k at Peoria Sports Complex (learningforlifeaz.org) on Sunday, October 28th. So I have four more weeks to prepare for the 6.4 mile run. My long run that week is scheduled for 6 miles, so it should be just enough distance to really challenge and push me. If any of you are interested in running it also, let me know. There’s another 10k I’m planning to run on Thanksgiving in Mesa too.

Week 4 Summary: Goal 15.5 miles, 4.75 mile long run. Once again I completed 4 runs for a total of 15.5 miles. My average pace for the week was 9:01. I completed my long run of 4.75 miles in 42:30 (8:57).

Week 5 Goal: My goal this week is 16 miles. My long run this week should be five miles. The five mile mark is a little daunting, but I feel a sense of relief to be building my long runs to a more substantial distance.

No comments: