Monday, October 13, 2008

Finding focus...

So after two rather weak weeks of running, I’m forcing myself to get focused. With a shorter training period this year, I really need to get some distance added. And so far this week I’m off to a good start. I’ve already exceeded my long run goal for this week, pushing myself up to 4.5 miles today. That leaves me just 1.72 miles to add in the next 27 days for my first 10k (http://www.phoenix10k.com/). This event also offers a 5k run, walk and stroller push…so if you’re looking for an event, this could be the one. This was formerly the New Times 10k, and a pretty decent size event, plus it’s chipped, which I like.

For those of you who don’t know what a chipped race is…many races you wear a chip on your shoe. When you run over the mat at the starting line it starts your time. When you run over the mat at the finish line, it registers your finish. In big races that don’t have chips, and just use gun time, it’s not as accurate. If you’re well back in the crowd, you may not cross the starting line for a minute or two after the gun has been fired.

I’m off to finally buy some new running shoes tomorrow also. I’ve been running on my Adrenaline 8s since probably May, which is pushing the mileage. Getting a new pair now should be just about perfect for race day. You don’t want brand new shoes for a race, and yet running shoes only last so many miles before they really start breaking down…and that can lead to knee issues. They haven’t released Adrenaline 9s yet, and the shoe guy told me last year not to buy old models of shoes (the components inside the shoe harden and no longer function properly…and that contributes to injuries). I’ll be checking other Brooks models, but I may have to venture to something new altogether. I really do heart my Brooks though.

I want to mention a thank you to all for the support on my fundraising efforts this year. I’ve had a lot of positive feedback from everyone. I’ve also been told many stories of others loss to cancer…and some fantastic survival stories too. Many of these I was familiar with, but some I had no idea of. Goes to show the impact cancer has on everyone.

Week 2 Summary: Goal 11 miles, 4 mile long run. I ran exactly 11 miles, and completed a 4 mile long run. My overall pace so far is 8:59. My last run on Saturday was brutal, but I needed to get the miles in so I did it.

Week 3 Goal: My goal this week is four runs for a total of 15 miles. My long run goal is 4.25 miles, which I already exceeded today. Strange as it is, the 4.5 mile run today was my easiest run yet.

And a quick congrats to Sunny...she finished out another marathon in Cali yesterday...3:55. Way to go:)

No comments: